[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Partial Discharges.....A good reason for cap failure?

Reinhard,
Excellent post. However, I disagree with your statement:

>> Oil DOES NOT prevent the formation of corona!! <<

While it does not *totally* prevent corona, it greatly reduces
it. Without the oil there would be air between the layers
of poly, and that definitely would encourage corona. I
believe what you meant to say was that the use of oil
does not reduce the corona completely, and so eventually
there will be degradation of the poly.

I am just concerned that a new coiler might read that part of
the post and then believe that there is no reason to use oil.
Oil is still one of our best ways to reduce corona.

BTW, the place where this degradation takes place the most
is at the ends of the capacitor where the "tabs" or
final connections are brought out. So the length of the
'margin' of the poly here should be at least an additional
half inch over what the 'margin' is on the sides.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee