[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building your own HV transformer

Hi Chris,

> Original Poster: Chris Tominkson <internetinbox-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Keep in mind I have little or no idea what I am doing. I know how a
> transformer works, but you lost me with all the terms and stuff I
> don't know about. I've seen all the pictures in books and the like
> about what one looks like, but, I need just a little more detail. Like:
>
> Do you have to use Iron for the core?

Are you ready to read a book on the subject? In answer to your
question, no, but then you must understand what happens if you don't
and that is: the size of the transformer must be *vastly* increased to
approach the same efficiency as the cored inductor. The why's are
beyond the scope of a short post.

> What are the core requirements, like how does it relate to voltage and
> how are they setup (spacing, different configurations, details)?

The core size doesn't relate to voltage at all (except perhaps to
allow sufficient insulation to be included). It relates to frequency
and power throughput in a rather complex way (again outside the
scope of a short post).

> What do more turns on the primary do, like what is the difference
> between 2 turns and 20?

I knew I couldn't avoid a book answer for long :(  The number of
turns on the primary relates to its inductance and inductive
reactance. That matters because the lower the reactance, the greater
the magnetizing current for a given applied primary voltage (this is
not load current - it is a reactive current that does no useful
work). To induce a voltage in the secondary, you must have some flux
change caused by the primary and that is the job of the magnetizing
current.
    I must apologize but to go any further into this would see me
writing for a couple of hours and time is of the essence.

Malcolm

P.S. - I did put out a brief transformer tutorial on the tesla-2 list
last year. It should be available from that list's archives.
<snip>