[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good Deal? SURE !!

> NO, not that I can see. It does have a label that says "Leybold-Heraeus"
> High Voltage Supply.
Leybold Heraeus is a well known mfr of Vacuum pumps and other vacuum
equipment.

Given the variac, and the general power level, and the fact that I have a
unit very similar, I'd say it is a power supply for an Ebeam unit.
Basically, you blast a high current beam of electrons at a target of some
material, which makes it melt and then evaporate. The ions then fly through
the vacuum and hit the piece you want to plate onto. Pretty standard vacuum
deposition equipment.  Mine is 35 kV at 300 mA with a big transformer and
bridge rectifier (8020A tubes) submerged in a oil tank. It had a bunch of
smaller bias supplies to do things like deflect the beam to hit the target
properly, and such.

A trip to the Kurt J. Lesker web site would probably tell you everything
you need to know about this equipment (the KJL catalog is worth getting as
a "wish book" anyway.. doesn't everyone need an UHV system in their
garage?)

> > >5)My first coil is powered by 15k/60 mA NST (900 watts). What can I
> > >expect in performance increase with this monster as opposed to
> > >increasing my NST to 120 mA?

Actually, you can run this with single phase input, probably... It will
just have more ripple, and less total output.  Do the usual thing: run it
the first time with a light bulb in series with the AC line to limit the
current and fire it up. So it puts out a bit less voltage and current than
rated... It'll still be bigger than your NST!!

ALso, you could rig up an array of capacitors to synthesize the 3 phase
pretty easily.