[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement current

Hi All,
    I found an article wherein the radiated energy from a loop of 1.5
meter radius, that has an 8 microFarad capacitor charged to 60 kV
discharged into it, is calculated.  The frequency is about 67
kiloHertz.  The author claims that, with an initial stored energy of
14.4 kiloJoules and with a discharge current of 45,000 Amperes, the
total radiated energy is 1.12 microJoules.  The calculations were done
on a computer with subroutines from the CERN program library.  This
loss mechanism would seem to be very small for a Tesla coil primary
and secondary if this calculation is correct (at this frequency).  The
article also gives references to several papers by Peter Graneau, P.
T. Pappas, Hatzikonstantinou, and P. G. Moyssides the author.

PENDULUM EXPERIMENTS AND THE FUNDAMENTAL LAWS OF ELECTRODYNAMICS
By P. G. Moyssides
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MAGNETICS
March 1999, Volume 35, Number 2, Pages1060 to 1069

Barry

Tesla List wrote:

+AD4- Original Poster: Glenn +ADw-gcerny+AEA-megsinet-dot-net+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4- I find this thread most interesting. While
+AD4- not directly related to spark lenght, it has
+AD4- provided food for though about how energy
+AD4- transfers through  the media.
+AD4- My thoughts have been aroused.
+AD4- Please continue (I hope).
+AD4- Glenn