[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: which tubes to get at hamfest?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jeff Corr" <corr-at-enid-dot-com>
>
> I've seen on the list over the last few days, and on webpages that
> it is possible to make tube coils with the following tubes :
>
> 803
> 811
> 811a
> 813
> 833a
>
> Are there any other tubes that are popularly used for tube coils that I
> should be an eye out for at this hamfest?

Jeff

I also highly recommend 572B/T160L.  It is an 811A on Steroids:

Vbb ~ 3kV
mu  ~ 160 (for all intents same gain)
Ibmax ~ 275mA
Plate P max  160W (vs 65 for 811A)

Note: tube as graphite plates, roughly equivalent to 2.5 811A's in one
glass envelope, same pinout, same fil ratings; tube is a direct one for
one swap with an 811A in most applications.

I ran a push-pull system using two tubes in a hartley oscillator at
Ed Wingates 1997 Teslathon at 1.4kW input (level shift) and was getting
12-13" streamers (~4.0kV pk).  Upgraded to 2.5kV industrial MOT and at
6.8kV pk in ( :^O ) was getting 18-20" streamers before tubes blew...
with 2.5A pk at 6.8kV pk push pull nearly 50kW peak plate input!!!

With 1.4kW input, tubes (2) were BULLET proof.

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA