[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Light Dimmer to Adjust Spark Gap Fan?

Adam,

In general, lamp dimmers will only work properly with "universal" or AC/DC
type motors.  Typically, these have brushes and are used in electric
drills, vacuum cleaners, electric lawn edgers, etc.  Your fan motor likely
is an induction motor which is best controlled by a small variac, tapped
transformer, rheostat, series light bulbs, etc. which do not mess up the
sinusoidal waveform.

--Steve