[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum pump

Tesla List wrote:

>   One should always use a water trap in line when using an aspirator to
> prevent the water from being sucked into the system when the water is turned
> off.  I would also put a pinch clamp on the hose between the water trap and
> the vessel under vacuum prior to turning the water off.

A note: My improvised aspirator could certainly cause water to boil
(isn't this around 0.5 cm Hg?). This was long ago, and I was trying
to make low-pressure gas lamps to light them with electrostatic
machines (the idea worked). I had a valve in the vacuum line, and
always closed it before closing the water, of course, otherwise
the result would be a lamp filled with water...
I still have that pump somewhere (I saw it some time ago). If
I find it again, I will put a picture in my web site.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz