[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: overquenching (was light dimmer...)

<< snip
>         True enough, static gaps never over-quench, but it is entirely
> possible
> to overquench a rotary-- especially a series rotary gap at the higher
> speeds.  These gaps are not usually used for tesla coil work, so your
> statement is still quite true.
>         --Mike >>

Mike,

I've never seen evidence in my work that even series rotaries can
overquench.  I think what is happening is the same thing as with
the static gaps, that it's firing unsteadily rather than truly
overquenching.  Do you have evidence of true overquenching as
seen on a scope?  And what would be your proposed mechanism
that would cause this overquenching?

John Freau