[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: LDPE source and thickness

If you are thinking of making a single cap, think again.
The use of 60 mil will be ok, in fact you can make a darn near
bulletproof cap with it. The catch is you must build at least
2 (at 12KV) and preferably 3 to place in series.
If you use a single cap, placing the full potential across
a single dialelectric, it *WILL* fail. The potential at the
edge is great enough to form corona, even under oil. This will
degrade the PE until it punches through.
[what would be better, if you can find a source, would be
0.015, or 0.030 and stack it. Less chance of a single point
failure punching through]

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net