[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re Light Dimmer to Adjust Spark Gap Fan?

Hi John, all,

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> ><< > airflow than I need).  But with any reasonable type of fan, is there a
> > > need to slow it down?
> > >
> > > Regards, Gary Lau
> > > Waltham, MA USA
>
> > Isn't it possible to overquench a gap?
>
> > Adam
>   >>

> Adam, all,
>
> Technically, not really overquenching.  Too much air can prevent the
> gap from firing steadily.  Overquenching has a specific and different
> meaning in TC work.  Overquenching means that the gap quenches
> too fast after it fires, and this generally never occurs in any TC.
>
> Some TC's can tolerate more of an air blast across the gap than
> others.  If the air is used just for cooling, then you can use as much
> as you want.
>
> John Freau

Yes. I got my first real lesson in overquenching when I tried to
force a first notch quench on coil that performed nicely without. I
discovered that you can put a gap out more quickly than it normally
would but there is a terrible cost: you lose much more power in the
gap doing this than you otherwise would. Arcs don't like to go out.
There was no way in the world I could make the gap extinguish before
the initial pri-sec transfer was largely completed. I used jets of
compressed air through the gap.

Malcolm