[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier with Helical cap: Materials questions

> Secondly, for the cap/primary: I need to make a cap that will withstand
> the tank voltages with only two plates (no series configuration to lower
> voltages) and I have access to some thicker plastics, namely styrene,
> plexiglass and vinyl. Does anyone know the properties of these materials
> with regard to TC Cap use, esp. puncture voltage/mil, K, and
> compatibility with mineral oil? I plan on using 3-4 sheets of 70-120 mil
> material (1/16"-1/8") instead of 10-12 sheets of 6 mil poly, which is
> what I have now. Of course, I will pot in oil, but I figured that 3-4
> sheets would be easier to purge of air.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Wells

  It is sort of impossible to make a two plate capacitor for a magnifier.
This is first because magnifiers work best with very high voltage inputs.
Any input voltage over 10KV will corona like crazy creating huge loses and
ions which will ultimately create an arc over.  The thickness of the plastic
has little to do with the matter other than the thicker it is the more
massive you will have to make the plates.  I would consider a multiplate
capacitor if I were you.  If this is impossible, then I wish you luck with
the two plate design.

Richard Hull, TCBOR