[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stupid question

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:07:45 -0600, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Christopher Michaelis <cmichael-at-xmission-dot-com>
>
> I've got a stupid question, since I'm young. :)
> How do I figure out watts? I thought it was volts*amps, but that doesn't
> look like it's right...
>
> Thanks

The currents acting through a parallel resonant circuit are 180 degrees out
out phase which means the highest impedance. The current is continually
going in the opposite direction of the impressed voltage, which may cause
consternation of some of us who wonder how can this be? The case of a single
inductor placed to AC is 90 degrees out of phase which means that the
current is only going in the direction of the impressed AC voltage 50% of
the time which results in our observation of the coils own impedance. And
lastly when the voltage is in phase with the current it goes the correct
direction 100% of the time so that the coils impedance disapears and series
resonance takes place.
    It is the correlation in time when the voltage
is applied to when the current conduction takes
place that determines the volts times amperage wattage input.
This is very analogous to the effects of force upon
a mass varying according to its inertia, and in certain respects a magnetic
field acts with a quality
of inertia. The magnetic field is dependent on the
amount of conduction current in a coil. This current can keep going in one
direction for a time period even after the source voltage that causes it to
exist
changes polarity. This causes the added resistance factor known as impedance
in AC circuits. The picture of a magnetic field from a coil in series
resonance is one of an inertialess field that instantly obeys its force or
voltage impressed on it with no time lag.
Then we can say the amperage is in phase with the source voltage and both
inductive and capacitive
reactances cancel so the circuit can then obey Ohms
law because of the abscence of impedance. Then maximum
wattage input is not blocked.
    In reality that explanation skips a great
deal of information about HOW this actually
occurs. It occurs because a greater than source
voltage comes into the picture to accomplish the amperage conduction. This
is known as the resonant rise of voltage. Of course if we used this voltage

in our wattage calculations we would have more energy
in the circuit than was inputed. This kind of voltage
is an unobvious voltage, it will not deliver excess power to a load because
the load will itself determine
how much voltage is available for conduction in what
is probably described best as a resonant choke circuit. HDN