[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

I want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike.....

Geek Group useless idea #182

Project-1 is getting closer to completion everyday and so we figured it is
time to build the torus.
The idea is to remove the tire from a 20" Bicycle wheel and replace it with
metal ducting. It would be attached to the wheel with either ty-wrapps or
small loops of naked wire, I'm not sure which would be better.
Has anybody done this before? It seems so simple I'm sure there's got to be
some esoteric reason why everybody isn't doing this. I've heard everything
from carving toroids from styrofoam to papermache wrapped in al foil....so
what's the catch? Where am I screwing up on this one?
Also is there any particular type or size of ducting to use? I would assume
that the plastic-wrapped slinky would be a bad choise (fire, toxic fumes and
all that) I've seem metal, but it's gotta be expensive. What's the best? How
do I attach it to itself at the end?
Just how important is it to achieve the great state of Zen flatness for the
surface?

The Toroid Buddha
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group