[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overcoupling?

Terry Fritz wrote:

> >       The corona area you mention is probably a natural high field
stress area
> >that linear wound Tesla coils have about 2/3 up the secondary.

Why?

Frequently I see the term "overcoupling" in this list, but can't see
what it means. I don't see a reason for increased voltage gradients
along the secondary just because the coupling coefficient to the
primary is increased. A primary closer to the secondary would induce
sparking between the two coils, certainly, but why sparks along the
secondary? Would not this effect be due to tuning to a higher order
resonance mode instead?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz