[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: I want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike.....

Chris,

No, sounds like a fine idea. The ducting should be all metal, however,
and smoothing with metal tape will improve the nature of the sparks, as
you will undoubtedly see when you run.

For a topload, almost anything conductive will work--generally speaking,
the larger volume the object occupies, the larger capacitance it will
possess, and usually, the sparks will be longer, assuming a proper
re-tune. There are better shapes than others, and (as you will see) the
smoother and rounder the better. The optimal shape to maximize
smoothness and roundness is naturally a sphere. However, a toroid is
better in this application because it works to protect the upper part of
your secondary by overhanging them and moving the charge density out
away from the windings, farther than a sphere would, and therefore it is
harder for sparks to breakout from the windings as well ( this is
grossly simplified--comments welcome)

In experimenting with tune and topload, I have placed many things on
L'il sparky, including but not limited to pots and pans, a wok (both
right-side-up and upside down) a bike wheel, foil pinwheels (Ion motor)
metal rods, CD's (Barry Manilow, etc) and offending insects found in the
apt. (Jumped-up Bug-zapper)

One last note, make sure that you make a good connection between the
wheel and the ducting, and remember, the surface is going to be
conducting all of your energy. I would reccomend making a cardboard disc
to go on top of your spokes, covered with foil and metal-taped to the
ducting.

Good luck

Wells