[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unexpected Shock From TC

To Bill Langston, and all coilers:

	I noticed in your post that you (Bill) wrote that you got a shock by
touching the TC long after it was turned off.  I know of two reasons why
this might happens, and how to fix each of them.
	One cause is that the tank capacitor can hold quite a charge after the
coil is shut off.  It usually bleeds off through the circuit after a few
seconds, maximum.  However, according to Terry Fritz, if some connection
in the circuit is disconnected, this bleeding off may not happen.  Ask
around for ideas about bleeder resistors across the tank capacitor, and
other ways to fix this.
	More likely, though, is that the secondary can hold a charge, too.  I'm
not sure if it has to do with the self capacitance of the coil, or the
varnish on it, or what.  However, I know that most big coils I have seen
could give quite a zap if you touched the secondary, even several minutes
after operation.  Usually, the operator would take a grounded wire and
touching it to the secondary to remedy this.

	Again, just thoughts of mine.

							Brent
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]