[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Stupid Question(From a different guy)

would be to get a grounded pipe or rod put in the earth at a known distance
from the discharge terminal.  If the streamer reaches, then move it out a
ways.  If it reaches again, move it further, etc.  Do that until you get the
longest possible discharge, then find the distance from the coil to the
stake.  Although I do not have a working coil to test that with, I have
heard of it done that way.  (someone) Please correct me if I am wrong.  I
believe that a farady cage is a grounded structure meant to catch the
discharges before they hit anything harmful.  As an example, you could stand
inside the faraday cage near a coil and the cage would draw all harmful
sparks away.  I have never personally built one, but I would assume that you
could just weld together a metal cage and connect it to a good ground.  As
stated before, I am by no means an expert, but I hope that I have helped.

-Andy

-Beware never to drop a large NST on your toe, because I can tell you from
personal experience that it HURTS!