[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50KVA Pigs

In a message dated 5/7/99 4:32:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>      Well I went and picked up two of the pigs so far, they are a bear to
>  move! I have opened them up and the oil is still clear, al 28 gallons of
>  it. Thank you all for your advice. Is there anybody out there that can
>  give me a more detailed method for current limiting these things? I
>  have  heard many references to how to limit a pig, but never any
>  detailed directions. I would rather err on the side of safety than risk
>  any accidents.
>      Also, I am located in the Seattle area if anybody is interested in
>  one of these monsters.
>
>          Thanks,
>                      Jason Zuberer

Jason,

Aw, a fellow Washington coiler.  I am in Spokane.  The primary of the welder
is connected in series with the primary of the distribution transformer.  The
secondary of the welder (the low voltage welding leads) are shorted together.
 Now as you vary the settings on the welder, you control the current through
the pig.  Lower welder settings produce lower primary current.  You should
use an AC amp meter in the primary circuit so you can monitor the current.  I
still use a couple of ohms of resistance in series with the welder to get
smoother control.

I started out using a welder to control my 5kva pig and was experiencing out
of control 60hz resonance rise in the primary.  I have since changed to using
a 5,000 watt light dimmer variac as a variable inductor to control the pig.

Let me know if you ever get over to this side of the mountians.

Ed Sonderman