[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Disc Construction

Hi Brian,

>Original Poster: "Basura, Brian" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>
>You're comment about the start/stop of the actual spark not coinciding with
>the mechanical dwell is correct.
>Note-This spreadsheet was intended as a tool to get the mechanical
>components in the ballpark and not necessarily a representation of the
>electrical behavior.

Sure, I wasnīt trying to put you down. I just thought it would be worth
mentioning, thatīs all.

>As for the offset. Let me see if I can explain it without resorting to
>ASCII...
>Take a simple rotor, equally spaced rotating electrodes, and two fixed
>electrodes (one on each side of the rotor).  The offset would be the
>centerline difference (if any) in the two fixed electrodes.
>If the fixed electrodes are in line with each other then the mechanical
>dwell will be maxed and determined by the speed of the rotating electrode
>and it's diameter. If you offset the centerline of the fixed electrodes
>(without changing any other parameters) you will reduce the dwell since the
>overlap will be less.

Oh, okay I get it now, but wouldnīt you do the same thing, by simply
reducing the electrode size?. E.g. Your offset is so that you only use
1/2 of a 1" electrode. In this case you could simply use a 1/2" electrode
instead, it would make no difference. However, the offset (or electrode
diameter reduction) will also reduce the wear rate vs. current capability.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard