[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC Operating Spark Gap (was RE: Disc Construction)

  Brian -

  I checked out your spreadsheet for the RSG dwell times and it looks like a
good start. However, there are many more parameters that must be coordinated
for an optimum RSC program. In my TC Design Manual I mention about a dozen
parameters that are involved. I also said that a computer program is a job
for someone in the future. To date I have never heard of a coiler who has
developed this type of program. Coilers generally build the RSG according to
its mechanical details and with little concern for the Tesla coil
characteristics. So you may be the first to come up with a comprehensive
program.

  Several years ago I started a program but never finished it. I lost the
program when my hard drive died and I did not have a backup. If I can find
my notes I will let you know.

  The operating spark gap is a very important switch for the proper
operation of the TC. It should be designed so that it will open and close in
coordination with the operating frequency, the primary capacitor RC
charge/discharge conditions, the secondary Q factor, the jitter, the K
factor, and other variables.

  John Couture