[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bi-polar (center-fed) TC

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi John,
>
> > Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> >
> > In a message dated 99-05-08 06:17:57 EDT, you write:
> >   >snip
> > << Streamers and arcs will establish themselves between
> > > the two toroids. Sometimes this arrangement is
> > > referred to as a "TWIN" coil arrangement. You can
> > > get toroid-to-toroid strikes that are almost
> > > double what you would get from a single coil.
> >
> > > Ed Wingate and others have built very impressive twin
> > > coil systems.
> >
> > > Fr. Tom McGahee >>
> >

> > Fr. Tom, all,
> >
> > Based on the square law for spark length vs. power input, I would
> > expect the sparks from a twin coil or bi-polar coil to be about 40%
> > longer for the power input than from a normal TC (just my thoughts,
> > I haven't done any comparison tests).
> >
> > Has anyone done a careful comparison?
> >
> > John Freau
>
> I've seen this on a mini-twin where the base of the driven resonator
> was connected to another resonator rather than ground. I got six inch
> single channel sparks connecting the two resonators vs four
> connecting a single driven resonator to ground at about 30W input
> and same primary energy.
>      Bert Hickman once posted a nice piece which showed that there is
> a SQRT(2) higher potential difference between the resonator tops than
> there is across the single grounded resonator for the same primary
> energy. Yet again it shows some correlation between discharge length
> and output voltage in some situations.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm, Fr. Tom, John, All,

Bert Hickman is a very well educated and knowlegeable electrical
engineer with considerable good 'hands-on' Tesla coiling experience who
I have the highest regard for.  Every post from him is a 'nice piece'!
I don't recall the one of his posts mentioned but I can certainly
personally _confirm_ that it certainly appears from my own experiments
in the realm of ~2-10 kVA input power that a well designed twin can get
higher connecting streamer lengths/per power input than a single 1/4
wave classical coil to ground targets. My very first twin system I which
I prototyped about 2 years ago here at the Area-31 Testing Range
achieved 8 foot (96 inch) connecting streamers on ~2.5 kVA input which I
and my first light demo guests which included Kevin Conkey thought were
pretty darned good.
Yeah, we got video and 35mm stills of the event!

Robert W. Stephens