[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Disc Construction

>It would seem to me that offsetting the radial displacement would have the
>same affect as reducing the size of the electrodes (as Reinhard suggested in
>another post). This may actually increase the rate of closure (good thing)
>due to the curvature (I'll have to think about that one some more)...

>> What is ROC?  (I asked)

>Not sure what this is in reference to...  (you replied)

Brian and Reinhard,

Yes, I understand the idea is to make the electrode elements as small as
possible,
consistent with problems like heating and simply "sticking" the things into
the disc
so the whole contraption doesn't behave like a NATO air raid.

Assuming round electrodes, displacement in one plane will give the surface
area
of a semicircle and displacement in the perpendicular plane begins to look
like a
quadrant. That seems like a 75% reduction in the dwell time. Now the
challenge becomes one of moving the fixed electrodes along
a displacement vector of 45 degrees. This sounds like a project for a highly
skilled
machinist, Reinhard. Doing this would allow the use of say 1/4 x 20 threaded
brass. The large mass makes for a good heat-sink and shrapnel free fastening,
while the 45 degree displacement reduces the surface area of the contacts and
the dwell time. Reinhard, do you think you could refine this thing to where
the inescapable wobble produces unacceptable instability?

I am probably overlooking a lot. Brian, Maybe you shouldn't encourage me.

Ralph Zekelman