[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Racing sparks

<<
> The idea is to avoid the accumulation of DC charges over the surface
> of the coil, that would be, if the theory is correct, the originators
> of the "racing sparks". Certainly, if a single shot is enough to deposit
> significant charges, the idea of a semiconductive coating would fail.
> Does Tesla mention the phenomenon, with his cotton-covered wires and
> wood forms, all rather semiconductive?
> A simple test: spray some water over a coil that is showing racing
> sparks, with the power off of course, turn it on and see what happens.

> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio, all,

I remember from one of Richard Hull's videos that he made
an extra coil wound with Teflon coated wire.  This coil tended to build
up an extreme static charge, and also had great problems with racing
sparks if I remember correctly.  This is perhaps more anecdotal
evidence for the DC static charge theory of racing spark formation.

John Freau