[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Failure

In a message dated 5/14/99 4:04:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: Christopher Michaelis <cmichael-at-xmission-dot-com>
>
>  I'm getting a bit put out - my coil doesn't give even 6" sparks. Here are
>  my problems:
>
>  I'm using a 15000kva 30ma neon, with salt water caps (not tinfoil covered,
>  but put in salt water with copper tubes out of top). I've got 7 spark gaps
>  of 1/4" each, using copper tubing that's been hammered flat. Primary is 7
>  turns 1/4" copper wire, and the secondary is 15" of 24 guage wire.
>
>  I'm getting very thin, frail sparks off of the top, and I'm getting a
>  MASSIVE show inside of the capacitor box -- strange stuff, looks about like
>  about 6 coils discharging at once.
>
>  Any suggestions?
>
>  Christopher Michaelis
>  cmichael-at-xmission-dot-com

Christopher,

You really don't provide enough information here.  Do you know how much
capacitance your salt water caps produce?  Have you done the math to make
sure the primary can be tuned to match the secondary?  It sounds like it is
not tuned properly.

Ed Sonderman