[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Safety (was RF Interference and Chokes)

  Christopher, Ed, All -

  It is my understanding that not using the house third wire ground is a
violation of the National Electrical Code (NEC). This is a safety code to
protect life and property and is mandatory in all states.

  The following has been mentioned on this List several times before so this
is for the newbies.

  It should be noted that Tesla coils cannot be UL rated and, therefore,
operating them is a violation of the NEC. Demonstrating Tesla coils in any
public building should be done only with the approval of the fire marshall,
wire inspector, lawyers, etc, etc. This is a hobby that carries many risks.

  It is obvious that electrocution is not the only TC hazard.

  Building Tesla coils is not illegal but operating them is. You should
operate your Tesla coil with the thought that if you goof up because of
inexperience you could be in deep trouble.

  There are two major rules to follow before firing up that coil. Build only
small coils and learn as much as necessary about electricity so you can use
it safely.

  John Couture