[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New wattmeter

Good idea here.. but, the last C&H meter I got had a max current of 5A,
obviously designed to work with a current transformer for higher powers.
And, they are a bit, shall we say, ancient... the fabric insulation tends
to be a bit crumbly, etc. However, mounted into a box, with a calibration
chart that shows "seconds for 1 rev" vs "watts" they work pretty well. I've
used it to measure power factor on AC motors, NST's etc.

Actually, I've also seen (at C&H, for that matter) lab power meters in the
same $50 price range.

One of the newer solid state power meters would be a better bet, although a
bit pricey (>$100 new). Perhaps some shopping around would find one at a
reasonable cost. Say one that was 5 yrs old, or something.

Your local electric utility will often have bins full of old meters at
scrap prices (i.e. $0.10/pound), although, in some cases, they are
deliberately damaged so you can't swap it in for the one they put on your
house. And, of course, it is a "bin" where they've dumped the old meters in
with a bucket loader.

Any of you HV types in Los Angeles should certainly take a trip out to DWP
scrap yard in Pacoima every once in a while. Mostly junk, but occasionally
nice stuff turns up (quasi-dead vacuum contactors, post insulators, etc.).
Make sure you come in a vehicle that can carry the stuff away though,
because you need to take it with you.