[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Critical Coupling (was Overcoupling

Hi John,

	I feel that we can measure "efficiency" very well.  There is little power
that is lost to unknown reasons.  MicroSim models are accurate and can be
used to find just about any current, voltage, RMS level, etc. one would
want to find.  These tools can be used for all kinds of wonderful things
and can especially be used to design for secondary arcs to the primary
(faults), larger than normal primary caps, spark gap effects, etc.

	Electrically, we know a lot.  However, when it comes to what gives the
biggest output arcs, all the models don't mean all that much.  They
certainly get one through the technical details of building the thing so it
runs without burning up.  However, there is no output chart or graph of any
present model that shows how far, what color, what behavior, etc. the
output arcs will have.

	One very interesting thing that shows really how messy output arcs are is
this:  If I measure to output waveforms on an oscilloscope,  I can judge,
from the ringing, what the losses in the system are.  If the losses rise,
the ringing is lessened.  Better yet, given a waveform, I can reproduce
them with models to find what the loss is.  However, if I look at the
losses when the system is running before breakout (no arcs) and when the
system is pushing nice three foot streamers, the losses are not that much
greater.  In other words, the streamers seem to add little loss to the
system.  In fact I can account for most of the electrical loss in the
system just in the spark gap and primary loss.  No doubt, there is current
going into the streamers and some power too, but just as capacitors draw
current without loss, I am suspecting that streamers are really not
dissipating very much power.  Certainly not the hundreds of watts I am
pushing into the system.  I am beginning to think that the terminal
geometry and fields around the terminal have a far greater effect on
streamers than simply how much power is going into them (such as the larger
vs smaller terminal).  Perhaps, we are seeing more dielectric breakdown in
the terminal's space capacitance rather than power into a resistor.  I
suspect that one would want to heat one's house with the spark gap.  If you
depended on streamers for heat, you may freeze...

Just some quick thoughts after a long weekend of experimenting, perhaps too
much ozone :-))

	Terry