[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety Gaps

<<  I tuned
> the Rotary phase with about 5% input voltage to the primary and rotate the
> rotary phase to the centre of max arcing range.  This seems to correspond
> with the electrodes lining up with the white part of a strobe disc I had
> attached.

> regards

> Viv Watts UK. >>

Viv,

The rotary phase adjustment position required, depends on the power
input.  You'll need to adjust the phase during full power operation,
either by some kind of remote adjustment method, or by trial and
error, to gain max spark output at the full variac setting.  The best
phase position at low power will be different than the best phase
postion at higher power.

In addition, the safety
gaps may need to be slightly wider than you're using.  When I use
resonant charging, I set the (2) safety gaps at 3/8" each for a 12kV,
30ma NST.

John Freau