[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Sync Rotary Gap

All,

I have constructed a new simple sync rotary gap.  It can be seen in
the bottom photo at my webpage at:

    <  http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/index.html  >

Only the photo is at the webpage, description is below.

The base is made of phenolic laminate, 1/2" thick by 8.5" by 13.75",
the rotor is Lexan, 3/8" thick by 8" dia., with 4 spinning electrodes
made from 3/8" threaded steel rod.  The fixed electrodes are copper
and are held by a slotted compression method in .75" square steel
bar stock.  The motor is a 1/12 HP, 1800rpm sync motor in a steel
cradle.  I used only hand tools and a drill press to make the rotary,
since I don't own or have access to milling machines, bandsaws,
power sanders, etc.  The gap took 13 hours to build.  It gives 120 BPS.

At the low powers I'm running (up to 2.5kW), the spinning electrodes
run cool, so I don't have to worry about the Lexan softening from heat.
Possibly it could handle more power.
I will be testing the copper electrodes since I've never tried them before.
Balance is not much of an issue at 1800 rpm with this size rotor, but
I did strive for accuracy in the construction of the rotor.

I will be testing it soon on my TC and will post the results.

John Freau