[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> <<
> > But are there any big advantages to using a LTR size cap.
> > Also will a LTR cap put more strain on the power supply?
>
> > Cheers Mike Tucknott   >>
>
> Mike, all,
>
> Assuming you're using NST power with a sync rotary gap, an LTRS
> cap can give the same
> output spark as a reso-cap, but a higher variac setting will be needed.
> It will be necessary to feed more than 120 volts to a 120 volt rated
> NST to equal the length that would be achieved at 120 volts with a
> reso-cap (depending on the gap phasing).  But the LTRS cap will
> produce a given spark length with less voltage on the output of the
> NST.  For this reason, the LTRS cap may stress the NST less than
> a reso-cap, so that is an advantage.
>
> I just built a new sync rotary gap that is simple to constuct.  I'll
> post a photo at my webpage soon.  This work will be on my latest
> videotape which is gradually getting done, but is not ready yet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Freau

Hi John, All
At the momment we(Dr B & myself)are using a 10kV 50mA OBIT with a
static gap(RQ type)but we do have a 15kVA pole pig so when all
is in place the cap will not be in a reso charging mode.
The point of using a LTRS is only to keep the coil in tune with
the size of primary.

Just one point can you tell me how a matched cap and power supply
IE reso charging mode puts added stress on the power supply.

Cheers Mike Tucknott
If at first you don`t succeed......

It must be someone else`s fault so
Find them; Blame them; Make them pay