[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

280 VAC 28 amps variacs in stacks of 6

I stopped and checked out the variac today after work and found the guy has
several variacs in a building out back.

The diameter is about 12" to 14" I am guessing.  About 5" to 6" thick.  The
case is 8 sided but the variac inside is round.

The one that I glanced at inside the building last week is rated 6.1 KVA 45
amps 115 vac.

The variacs outside in the other building are in stacks.  Two are stacks of
2 rated 280 VAC 28 amps.  The stacks are connected in parallel to give 56 amps.

I could not get to the others to see the tags.  They were on the other side
of a pile of junk. He has 2 in stacks of 3, 3 in stacks of 4, and 2 in a
stack of 6.

One stack of 6 looks like it is connected in parallel.  That would be about
280 VAC 168 amps if its rated the same at the stack of two.

The other stack of 6 looks like it is set up for 3 phase with 2 variacs
connected in parallel for each phase.  If the rating is the same as the
stack of 2 it will be 280 VAC 56 amps for each parallel stack of 2.

The variacs all have wire connections on the side and they can all be
changed.  You could reconnect them any way you like.

The guy is going to give me some prices in a few days.

Gary Weaver