[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variacs, HV Jell, and LTRS Caps / oil for MMCs / Etwas trost

Hi GSTCs, Terry,

TF> Also, I am working on a new MMC cap design that will require
    that they be submersed in oil.
Be careful as the mineral oil will be perhaps somewhat aggressive
to the housing of the caps! I destroyed my homebuild LDPE/oil-cap
before applying the first volt because the PS I used as
compression plate and cover of the box got brittle due to the
mineral oil and cracked all over.

TF> I am running them above their ratings (in the "enhanced"
    mode :-)) taking advantage of the fact that "I know things" :-))
    Since oil is such a mess, I was wondering if mixing mineral
    oil and say paraffin would produce a jell that could be heated
    to flow but would solidify like grease when cooler?  The jell
    would not be a dielectric but more of an insulator and mounting
    medium to put the caps in nice PVC cases.  The advantage would
    be it would not run, spill, leak, etc.  If this works, I can
    make a 5.6nF cap for about $25!!  If it doesn't, I don't want
    to have to clean up a bunch of oil :-))  This will test if the
    manufactures ratings really do mean anything in Tesla coil
    applications.  I am running just over the edge in voltage and
    current but theoretically they should hold up very well.
I think a fan should do the job. Just make a top and a bottom plate
and let the air blow through the rows.

TF> My present MMC runs soooooo cool I think it may be a waste
    of money to over design these things too much.  More
    exploration of their limits is called for.  Since I have all
    my stuff modeled, I can predict RMS currents and voltages very
    well so as to push the rating of the parts "gently"...
Still a problem is to tell how long a cap will last if it blows
not in the first hour or so. If it will be stressed over the limit
the 'time to death' will become shorter at least exponentially
with the 'overstress' because of the weakening of the dielectric.

Stefan
       (_(_|_)_)< `        Reply to: STK.TC-at-gmx-dot-net, please |
_   __/   |_|    \_      visit "Stefans Tesla coil pages"   |
 \_/  `   |_|     `    with lots of photographs, formulas   |
 _/    .__|_|__.     and technical infos around TCs at      |
/_______\-|-|-/___ http://privat.schlund.de/skluge/toc.htm _|

Famous last words:  Oh, a Tesla coil - I heard you can touch
                    it without getting hurt --> Zzzzzapp ...