[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dielectric Heating Thought

Hi All,

In working with all these caps and stuff I had another thought...

In our home built oil filled poly caps, we have oil and sometimes craft
paper in the dielectric too, in addition to the poly.  Even though the poly
has low dissipation, I was wondering if the dissipation of the paper and
oil my be heating the cap far more that the poly is?  On thing these MMC
caps have going for them is that they are made with just pure foil and
poly.  Thus there is nothing else to contribute to dielectric heating.  If
we have a craft paper layer soaked with oil, perhaps we are just limiting
the nice poly caps to the dissipation limits of an oil/paper cap?  Of
course, we don't have the means to wind with extreme precision like the cap
manufactures do so maybe this is just something we have to live with.
However, perhaps we can think of ways to reduce this if it is a problem...

Just a thought...

	Terry