[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: an interesting idea...

Alan

The electrodes would still heat up substantially due to the high
currents flowing, and indeed the discharge inside the gap will also
emit plenty of heat by radiation. You do not need air to radiate heat
(infra red) through - if you did then we'd never see the light from the
sun! As soon as there is enough heat the electrodes begin to vapourise,
completely ruining the vacuum and destroying the quenching.

Alex