[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Questions

At 20:22 23/05/99 -0600, Mad Mike wrote:

>I need the advice of a transformer guru. I have recently aquired 4
>transformer cores which have a short U and a long U with ground surfaces to
>mate the two halves together.

... snip ...

>What would be the best setup for TC use, the
>primary on one leg and the secondaries on the other or a primary and a
>secondary on each leg? The transformers will of course be run in transformer
>oil, how much wattage could one safely wring out of this design beyond 5000
>watts?

I am no guru, but these core are very much like the unit I rewound (only
smaller = 2.75" sq.), see

         http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis/tf_rebuild.htm

This unit used dual primaries & secondaries.  When I rewound it I
centre-taped and earthed the secondaries so the primary-secondary dV was
minimised ...... I suspect this is a good arrangement.  The only downside
becomes the outer layers of the secondaries become approximated where dV is
maximal.  In fact, run dry I could see the corona between the outer
secondary insulation.

If the clamps don't hold the cores well enough, note the arrangement used
on mine, where each C-core is held by angle iron and bolts, then the two
halves bolted together with threaded rod x 4.  I did thid as it was near
impossible to get anything between the primary and the core.

cheers

mark

Mark

http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis