[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Needed - Neon Transformer -Reply

Hello Terry, Rich,

(Sorry, if I am repeating something already posted, but Iīm
catching up on old mails)

> >I've had my eye on an oil burner transformer whose output is 9kv at 60ma.
> >Cost is $35.00 at Home Depot. You will find it in the plumbing department,
> >near the pvc pipe.
>
> WOW!  I assume if you by two and run them out of phase, you would have
> 18kV/60 mA ??  For $140 you could get 18kV at 120mA (by using four) which
> would be the limit one could run off 120VAC.  That would be a lot of bang
> for the buck for new equipment!

While getting 2.2kVA new for $140 sounds okay, I would be wary of using OBITS.
European (okay, german OBITS) arenīt known for their stability. As a matter of
fact, I have killed quite a few of these. They all have a label saying limited
run time of 3 minutes per half hour. If you run them for longer lengths of time
they start to get hot (and I mean HOT). Plus I have found them to be very
sensitive of voltage peaks (some of mine died even though I had a safety gap
across them). You could only run them out of phase if they donīt have a center
tap (as many german units do). Also 60mA sounds like a lot for an OBIT. The
ones I can find are around 20-30mA maximum.

Now I got a question for you, Rich; What the heck is a "catscan repairman".
Iīve
busted my brains on this one and still canīt figure it out.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard