[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Semi-Rotten Spark Length

Hi John,

>Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>  Reinhard -
>  Unless you use controlled sparks your spark output is a random output and
>should not be used for comparison of coils.
> John Couture.

Could you explain how you define "controlled sparks", please? The 57"
mark was reached every time. I use an RF grounded, flat "rod" and the
coil will reach out and touch this. I then measure the distance (after
shutting down of course). Once the arc connects to the grounded rod
(esp. if I use a blunt nail as a breakout point on the toroid), it usually
stays there. In other words, the 57" are more or less continous. The
same goes for my 63" mark, only that in this case I was able to achive
this mark only during one run. If the arc loses contact with the grounded
rod, streamers will start reaching out and once again (after a short time)
connect to the rod and stay there. Iīm not disappointed with the 57" as
such, but I was disappointed to see that I only increased the spark length
by a mere 7" (12%), even though I doubled the input joules and increased
the input VA by 140%. If I can get a bigger toroid (to prevent any breakout
without a bump), I will repeat my lamp experiment (using a larger 100-150W
light bulb this time). Another thing I want to try (if and when I get around to
it) is to wind an additional secondary coil with a small topload (4 x 15")
that self resonates at the same frequency my "real" secondary coil does.
This coil will be a sort of recieving station. I know this isnīt the most
effective way to transfer power, but on the other hand, lighting an
incandescent bulb "out of nowhere" does make for a spectacular show.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard