[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fried line filter

Hi Aron,

	I think it blew up! :-))

	Line filters are VERY reliable.  They are well over designed.  I assume
you were running 120VAC through it.  My guess would be that either your
grounding was not good and the high voltage caused an arc across from the
line to the case or a secondary arc got to it.  Once high voltage
establishes an arc, the high current AC will also follow the same path and
cause most of the dramatic damage.

	Usually these are just soldered together.  With some large pliers, a torch
(big soldering iron), and safety goggles (and due care) one can open them
up and see what was the matter.  I bet you will find that the voltage arced
through about 1/4 inch of insulation to ground.  In that case, I suspect
high voltage! :-)

	If you are careful, you may be able to fix it.  I buy the Corcom dual
filters for about $25 buck each.  They have capacitors, inductors, and high
value drain resistors in them.  Not much to go wrong...  I also add the
biggest MOVs I can get to the AC lines between the filter and the neon.
The MOVs should stop this stuff if nothing else does...

	If it is dead, please tear it apart and take a look inside.  Usually, if
you can look at this dead part and find what happened, you can fix the
problem very easily and very effectively.

Cheers,

	Terry