[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fully threaded coil forms; *extremely* powerful Oudin Resonator

Hello,
I have tried a few things rather unheard of these days in regards to coil
winding.
First, I threaded my coil form before I wound it...time consuming, but fun!
[12" Shelton Lathe: 3 passes to true OD (115 RPM), 2 passes of threading
tool (30 RPM)]
Second, I wound both primary and secondary coils on the same form,
like an Oudin Resonator.
Coil Form: 8.625" PVC, approx. 9" tall.
Secondary: Approx. 172 turns, 30 AWG, wound into 6" of cut threads-- 28 TPI.
  Approx. 1 1/2" of pipe, directly under secondary, last turn soldered
directly to it.
Primary: 6-8 turns of bare copper wire, wound into grooves cut at 6 TPI.
To just run a quick test of the coil, I wired it up to a tiny 6kV 20mA neon
transformer/condenser/stationary gap - the results were spectacular for such
a small bugger.  I was sitting on the floor 2 foot away and instantly the
hair stood up on my arms and legs from the effleuve- after switching off the
lights, the coil was even more immpressive on this 5 minute test...the
entire surrounding air of the top of the coil was ionised, and in a totally
untuned state sparks well over 6" of an enormous quantity were drawn off to
a chunk of aluminum bar stock.

To briefly describe the effluve, branching brush discharges leaped out from
the top most wire about 5" in length, powerful ionisation of the air towards
a grounded object [my arm] as far as 8-10"; with proper adjustment of spark
gap it is likely a 12" fine grain effluve could be had.

I was very surprised by the intensity of the sparks -- the discharge to
ground consisted of many thick sparks, very powerful for the small tank
circuit.
It is very compact, and looks superb with some maple polyurethane.
The pre-threaded form, "wire in grooves" is quite attractive...if not a bit
unusual!
Jeff Behary
http://www.lvstrings-dot-com/quack.htm

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com