[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: WIRES

Hi Alan,

Comments interspersed.

> Original Poster: ARSONIST01-at-aol-dot-com
> 1) what guage/Awg(is there a difference?) wire should i use to
> connect the components on the coil itself.(ie. NSTs to
> spark gap, etc..)

For U.S.A. gauge= AWG. The word gauge simply means a "defined"size.
In the U.K. people use SWG, which is slightly different, and in other
european countries, we use mm (or mm^2). The connections from the
HV xformer to the gap donīt need to be of super high gauge. Go for
neon sign cable (the yellow stuff). The current flowing here is not very
high, so there is no need for ultra thick cable. Connections from the
gap, cap and primary (i.e: the tank circuit) need to be THICK and
SHORT. Solving J=0.5C*V^2 and J=0,5LI^2 will get you Ipri =
U*sqrt(Cpr/Lpri). Try this on your proposed design. Youīd be surprised
as to what peak currents flow even in smallest of coils. My design
uses 35mm^2 cable. Thatīs slightly bigger than the main power
cable running from your carīs battery to the starter (on good old
high compression V-8s, that is, not on those wimpy 4 and 6 bangers).

> 2) What is a recommended wire guage for wall power to a control
> panel?

This depends on the CURRENT your hv xformer will draw. Wire gauge
is dependant on ampacity NOT VA. Find a good wire gauge data
handbook (Alcatel or CRCīs Chem & Physics Handbook, etc). Take
the maximum current your setup will draw, double (or triple) it and
then look for a wire that will take this (overrated in case something
goes wrong) current. If you have a loooong way to the wall plug /or
circuit breaker, go up (in size or down in gauge #) an additional step.

> 3) If there is a different guage recommended, but what should i
> use from the control panel to the actual T/C? (if i'm not
> mistaken, isn't this just 120VAC )

I would stick with the same gauge. Too big wonīt hurt, too small
might (overheating, I^2*R losses, etc). Place a fuse directly at your
control panel. Rate this fuse (slow blow CB) one size smaller than
your main fuse. Also shoot for the fattest red lamp you can find, so
you can see when / if the hv is energized.

> 4) What guage of wire should be used for connecting to the
> grounding rods?

THICK wire. For very low power coils (~100-300VA in), you can
use neon sign wire. For big coils, shoot for 25-50mm^2
(AWG 00 - AWG 2).

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard