[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Linseed Oil

At 08:59 PM 5/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>At 12:34 PM 5/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>I ask is my life...I have found that linseed oil is a sure fire way to set
>>your garage on fire if you leave it on a rag... in fact on T.V. they show a
>>lady soak a rag in linseed oil, wrap it in a foil ball,
>>put it in a foam cooler and 12 minutes later the thing bursts into
>>flame...spontaneous
>	I don't think anyone is using linseed oil any more... Except me.  I have a
>can of it here on my desk (I really do!)  I was using it for insulation on
>a few small things since it is so nostalgic to use this old insulating oil.

You're not the only one using linseed oil, though if you're using it for
coiling purposes you may be alone by now! As far as the spontaneous combustion
issue goes, we should point out that you can buy two kinds of linseed oil,
chemically different, and only one is the type to cause soaked rags to
suddenly ignite.

Rags soaked in raw linseed oil need to be wrapped up in airtight containers
prior to disposal, or just not used at all (my strategy). When drying, it
goes through a polymerization process that releases enough heat to sometimes
ignite it. Boiled linseed oil is produced from the raw stuff (requires more
than boiling to produce it) and is either changed so that the polymerization
process can't occur, or the treatment puts it through much of that process,
so it doesn't happen in your trash can. In any case, boiled linseed oil is
a much different critter, and is much safer to use. I'm sure it would still
burn vigorously if one were foolish enough to use it near an open flame (or
sparking Tesla coil).

I still treat all rags as though soaked with raw linseed oil though -- it's
easy, and it can't hurt.

Wes B.

*     Wes B.       *  "It's a wonderful world out there, Hobbes old  *
* wesb-at-spectra-dot-net *    buddy... Let's go exploring."   - Calvin     *