[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Equa-Drive System

In a message dated 11/25/98 3:38:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:
                -- snip  --
<<
 > 1.) You have to build two very identical caps (otherwise there won|t be a
 > "Equa" in the Equadrive system)
 >
 > 2.) The construction (well the wiring really) of the primary is more
 > complicated.
 >
 > 3.) Flashover might be a problem, too, because the voltage at the top
 half of
 > the primary is only half the voltage it would be in a normal TC tank
circuit
 > (actually higher potential difference between Vsec and Vpri along any
 point on
 > the primary winding).
 >
 > 4.) The last disadvantage I see is that part of the xformer winding is
 used to
 > "transport" the energy from the cap to the primary as the spark gap
 conducts.
 > This means HV RF current flows through the windings (I|m pretty sure this
 > would blow most NST|s) of the xformer.

 Probably and it can't work if the primary tank includes the impedance
 of the transformer and choke in series with it. If you look at the
 various primary circuits (the ones that will work) and draw out the
 simplified equivalents you'll see they all boil down to one
 configuration with the sole exception of whether the transformer
 appears across the primary cap or gap.

 > Now, whoever designed this system (I think such a schematic was actually
 drawn
 > by Nikola Tesla) had to see an advantage using it, but where is it?

 Don't think Tesla ever drew out a circuit like that.

 Malcolm

Reinhard,

Richard Quick's system was an equa-drive system.  It isn't real complicated.
Instead of one primary tank capacitor, you have two.  One on each side of the
primary.  This requires capacitors with only one half of the normal voltage
rating, but twice the the size (in uf) since they are effectively in series.
I believe he said they need to be well matched in value.  One disadvantage is
the capacitors do not automatically discharge when the power is shut off like
most systems and they must be manually discharged after each run before
working on the system.

Ed Sonderman