[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Cap Seal Failure

Terry you are correct in thinking that hot melt glue has polymers similar
to PP/PE, but it will not stick unless you use a glue with a close melting
point to PP/PE. In the past I tried several experiments using Paraffin and
PE melted together as a possible way to do that, but was basically
unsuccessful. You can use a heat gun to "weld" a PE seam, but it is
difficult to localize the heat. The Paraffin/PE mixture does work well for
"potting" (permanently) HV components when oil is not wanted. Another
possibility for those who want to make a oil resistant tank is to use
Acrylic or PVC, both can be glued with solvents as Dichloromethane, that
work by dissolving the plastic. But one must have a pressure release valve,
incase of internal arcing.

Regards,

David Trimmell