[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Believe it or don't

Adam and All,
Of all the postings on this subject, for my 2-cents yours is the best. At
around age 6 or 7
I had gotten hold of a Burgess Battery book loaded with how-to-do articles.
It was fun making electromagnets that got so hot I couldn't hold them. School
time came when I got the idea to wind an iron coat hanger around a screw
driver, take it down to the basement where there was a concrete floor and an
overhead lamp socket. No, no, I wasn't that
stupid--I stood on a wooden chair to reach the socket. :-)) The spark threw a
speck of coat
hanger into my eye. I got a real education from that and from my parents. And
no one worried about my self-esteem.

This home run excerpt from Adam's letter has flown out here to far-out right
field where it has bounced off my bunker and rattled my ramparts:

>>Within the next few months I saved up and bought
a neon "open" sign from Sam's club:-). After getting home I removed the<<

I can see an America where we would not be permitted to simply walk into
Sam's Club
and buy that "dangerous, high voltage" neon sign. Only a licensed electrician
would be
allowed access to such a "dangerous" device.

The postings by Adam, Terry, Reinhard and many others have been excellent and
far
better reasoned than my bombast. Everything we can do to promote safety,
education and self-policing is fine. Our hobby does not attract much
attention and we are probably beneath the malevolent gaze of the safety
Gestapo. But sorry guys, my experience in
Morton Grove and Evanston, Illinois where the writ of the Second Amendment no
longer runs has left a scar. We are the good guys but all our nice letters to
ourselves and our
courageous representatives in Congress are irrelevant to the danger we face.

This topic has produced a considerable amount interest. Personally, I think
we have about come to end of this thread and I hope our moderator soon pulls
the plug. I'll get
back behind my right-field bunker where I can duck all the incoming tomatoes
and rotten eggs.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman