[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poulsen arc gap / Magnetic blow-out spark gaps....

Mike Nolley wrote:

>     The Poulsen Arc's defining characteristic, the carbon gap quenched with
> hydrogen, I think would be the most important feature to consider.

To my knowledge, the Poulsen arc does not quench at all. It is a
continuous arc made with a gap in series with a DC power supply and a
large inductance. In parallel with the gap there is an LC series
circuit. With proper adjustments, the negative dynamic resistance
of the arc causes the buildup of oscillation in the LC circuit.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz