[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: build a flyback?

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:50:00 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: Jan Florian Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
>
> Hi
>
> I've succesfully built a very small 1.25"x5.75" coil, powered by a
> likewise small TV flyback with rectifiers. Now the problem is that
> the
> flyback doesn't deliver enough current (draws maybe 9VA from a lead
> gel
> battery),

what kind of driver circuit are you using? I have built ones that draw a
great deal more power that that!

 and while the gap breaks down 3 times/sec,

have you tried fiddling around with the capacitance? Use less for a
higher break rate, but the sparks will probably be smaller in length.
They will also be more visible, though.

the sparks
> aren't
> that great... 3" to ground, 1.7" to air.... and not very visible,
> has to
> be pitch dark in the room to really see them. :o)\

But, it still looks cool ;)  My first coil was powered in this fashion.

> Sooo... I've a few ordinary mains transformer, errm, "metal
> forms"(?)
> lying around. Those closed rectangles with an additional part in the
> middle. Is it possible (and easy?) to build a more powerful flyback
> using
> one of them? Was thinking in the range of 50VA. Anyone done this?

Build a flyback with a silicon steel core? I doubt it can be done....
....flybacks use a very different core material, called ferrite. Flybacks
are designed as very high frequency transfortmers, while those mains
trannie cores are probably for only 50/60Hz

If the cores can be dissassembled easily (i.e. the lamination aren't
weled together) thew it may be possible to wind new secondaries and
primaries for them , making a mains HV transformer. Some people (not me!)
have done this quite succesfully, but usually only with very large cores.

> --
>  Jan Florian Wagner
>  jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi, petwag-at-kolumbus.fi
>  http://www.dsh.edu.hel.fi

Grayson Dietrich
www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.