[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Pig limiting... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:45:53 -0700
From: Coiler <mycroft-at-access1-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Pig limiting...

> If your choke
> does saturate before you reach maximum voltage, you'll need to add an
> air gap in the magnetic path.
>
> Safe coiling to you!

Just a minor point to add to this. It is possible (contrary to what I have
seen expressed by many here) to saturate even with an air gap, if there is
insufficient iron in the core to handle the amp-turns. I found this out the
hard way when I hand-wound my first limiter. Works great at 120V (I use it
to limit my MOT systems for ladders now) but attempted to pass about 85A
at 240. This was not a c-core or an E-I or anything like that. Just a bundle
of 10lbs iron wire in 2" PVC with #10 wire wound on it.
(the second generation,with 45lbs rebar in 4" PVC works just fine)
I hope to have pictures of the latter up on my site withing the weekend, I
just
bummed a digital camera from work.
Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd...mycroft-at-access1-dot-net
http://www.access1-dot-net/mycroft