[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Kind of off-topic... question about leyden jar and transformer (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 16:48:43 -0400
From: Andrew Harvilla <lime_imac-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Kind of off-topic...  question about leyden jar and transformer

Hi!

I'm kinda new to high-voltage experiments, but here goes...

I have a 9,000 volt neon sign transformer, and a leyden jar that I made out
of a Cheez Wiz jar.  I connected one terminal of the transformer to the foil
on the leyden jar, and the other transformer terminal is used as the
electrode for the top of the jar.  Occassionally, the arc jumps from the
bolt on the leyden jar to the foil or wire around the jar.  Does anyone know
why this happens, and is there a way to have it do this constantly?

Thanks,
Andy