[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Beginner Tesla Questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:39:12 -0500
From: Bunnykiller <bigfoo39-at-idt-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: More Beginner Tesla Questions (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>

Snippp...

hi Ryan ......

the torus is connected to the end of the wire coming off the top of the
coil

you can either cut some material into slats and then drill holes spaced
along the slat at intervals which will give you the spacing between the
tubing that you desire  ( for a small coil .25 " is good when using .25
dia Cu tubing) once you drill the holes  cut lengthwise along the slats
removing the upper section of the holes  thus leaving you a slat with U
shaped notches   if you want to do a quick prototype use yardsticks they
are premarked for measuring and they drill and cut easy... :)    make 5
of these .. this will make a star shaped support  try for 30 degrees
incline ...

there is something called a strike ring  this is a ring that is mounted
about 2 inches above the primary and it is connected only to the ground
system ( Rf ground)  do not make a complete ring make it like a "C"  you
need to have it open  about 2" .. if it closed like an "O" it will act
like a winding and all sorts of neat nasty stuff occurs...

here are some cut and dried instructions for coil building........

obtain a power supply ( preferably a neon sign transformer ) at about 12
- 15 KV with 30 - 120 milliamps secondary current.

get a tube approximately 4" in diameter and about 30" long ( cardboard
PVC fiberglass will work fine for a first time coil) also get 22 ga wire

find some 1/4 " soft copper tubing ( the kind that is rolled up in the
box) about 30 feet of it   ( 25 feet may do it )

and you will also need to find some flexible aluminum tubing ( used for
dryer ducting ) best to find 4  " dia .

look for WinTesla on the net  its priceless .....   use it :)

take the 4" toriod ( dryer ) tubing and make a donut that is 9 - 10 "
wide measured from the top centers ( looking down on it )  or plan B
total outside Dia of 14 " .

wind the 22 ga. wire on the 4" coil form tubing  starting at the bottom
end about 4" up the tube ...  wind for a covered length of 18 "  be sure
to leave about 4" of tube exposed above the windings at the top.  and
leave yourself about 1' of wire at each end for connections. you will
need to connect the wire at the bottom of the coil to the RF ground

take the star shaped support and gently lay in the tubing into the
notches you cut working from the inside to the outside...  make a
connection point at the inside start point of the coil to hook your main
feed wire to  ...  make the inside "empty area" diameter where the
secondary will sit about 7" in diameter.
make a strike ring from the left over 1/4 tubing and mount above
primary..

get a capacitor rated at .001 uF at 25-30KV ac

install the cap  safety gap  and other misc. hardware and tap the
primary at the turn # 7.5 from the bottom counting upwards

and then expect nothing  :)   hopefully you will get 24 " streamers to
start

Scot D       welcome to the many times frustrating world of TCing    :)