[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Winder (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:40:14 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Coil Winder (fwd)

<< <<  But the
>>  professional way is to set the spool on edge and let the wire twirl
>>  off the end of spool.  I just guide the wire by hand, except on very >>

> John,

>Why? Especially with a large spool, doesn't that allow the wire to fall from
> the top of
 >the spool, clump up and maybe even fall over the rim of the spool? Seems
like
> small point because it probably is. All the pictures I have seen of
factory
 >coil winding
>machines show the spool horizontal and above. That's what I saw when I
toured
> the Thordarson plant in Chicago, c. 1942.

 >Happy day,
> Zeke

Zeke,

You're probably right.  I was repeating what I had heard, and I also
saw winding being done in a shop, where the wire was twirling off the
end.  Maybe the end method is just used for thinner wire and smaller
(it was a 10lb spool) spools.  That's the extent of my knowledge in that
area.  I never use the end method myself, it seems somewhat
treacherous to me as you suggested.

Thanks,
John Freau